Posted to rec.woodworking
alexy alexy is offline

Default Old jointer knives update

Top posting corrected so that the exchange flows naturally

"stryped" wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
In article . com, "stryped" wrote:

the ones at sears are 1/16 of an inch shorter. In my old
manual for this jointer, it says to let the blade overhang the
cutterhead 1/16 of an inch on each side. I could nto do that with
these.

I think that you need to experiment -- and *think* -- a little bit before
posting. _Of_course_ they'll work.

But the manual said it was very important to have 1/16 inch of the
knife stick out of the cutterhead on each end. There is no way to do
this

You forgot the "think" part of Doug's advice. Why do you think they
said to have them stick out 1/16" at each end?

Hint 1) If the original ones don't stick out of one end, what has
happened at the other end?

Hint 2) Can you think of any possible negative effects from your
answer to #1?

Hint 3) What negative effects do you think will happen if there is
only a 1/32" overhang?

If you can't figure this out, you will be pretty unhappy with this
hobby--all too often, you have to make a judgement and figure out how
to do something because something else didn't work exactly to plan (in
my case, always due to wood movement, never a measurement or cutting
error on my own partg). Wanting to follow directions is good, but
being slave to them to the extent shown in this question indicates the
wrong mindset/personality type for this hobby, IMHO.