Posted to rec.woodworking
stryped stryped is offline

Default Man, I am sick what shoudl I do?

I actually like working on machines like this but it would bother me if
I spent alot of time and it still did not cut as good as that new one.

Also, It is easy to spend omoney on tools, etc more than the cost of a
new one. For example, been reading a dial indicator is the best way to
set blades. They are 34 bucks at sears. The magnetic base for it is 44.
That adds up quick!
dpb wrote:
stryped wrote:
I just went on the sears website to see if I could find blades for this
old jointer. I saw on clearance a jointer on clearance for 239. It was
before 399.99. It can be shipped to the store for free.

I wish I had known about this before I bought this old one. Should I
keep going on trying to get this old one going with new knives, belt,
etc or shoudl I cut my losses? Will I be as happu with this old jointer
as the new one?

Nobody here can tell you what to do, you'll have to make that decision
yourself.

Somebody else noted there's a lot of value in learning something about
refurbishing old equipment--assuming, of course, you're interested
enough in woodworking that you're going to continue to do some. For
me, there's far more pleasure in getting something back in shape than
just buying a new gew-gaw, but that's me.

As for knives for this machine, you can measure the knives you have and
any knife of the same length, width and thickness (VERY important!)
will be fine. Sears, in general, would be about the last place I'd go
looking for tooling.

As noted in other response, unless these knives are in very poor shape,
resharpening them would be my first choice.