Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Man, I am sick what shoudl I do?

I just went on the sears website to see if I could find blades for this
old jointer. I saw on clearance a jointer on clearance for 239. It was
before 399.99. It can be shipped to the store for free.

I wish I had known about this before I bought this old one. Should I
keep going on trying to get this old one going with new knives, belt,
etc or shoudl I cut my losses? Will I be as happu with this old jointer
as the new one?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"stryped" wrote in message
ups.com...
I just went on the sears website to see if I could find blades for this
old jointer. I saw on clearance a jointer on clearance for 239. It was
before 399.99. It can be shipped to the store for free.

I wish I had known about this before I bought this old one. Should I
keep going on trying to get this old one going with new knives, belt,
etc or shoudl I cut my losses? Will I be as happu with this old jointer
as the new one?

You should feel comfortable with the purchase you make at the time you make
it. Don't worry or anguish over what you will find in the future as you
will always find a better deal. Waiting for the "very best" deal will
always cause you to miss out on something you can be enjoying now.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I would put the old one on Craigslist (or similar) for $75 and buy one that
works; either the Craftsman for $300 or a used one for $200.

But that is what I would do. What you should do might be entirely
different.

Having you around is great; you are like the little idiot brother I never
had.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Hey Stryped,
Don't feel sick, finish rehabbing the jointer you have and subtract the
cost of its refurbishing from the $239. Then buy that much lumber.
You'll be so much happier with the final outcome.
Marc
stryped wrote:
I just went on the sears website to see if I could find blades for this
old jointer. I saw on clearance a jointer on clearance for 239. It was
before 399.99. It can be shipped to the store for free.

I wish I had known about this before I bought this old one. Should I
keep going on trying to get this old one going with new knives, belt,
etc or shoudl I cut my losses? Will I be as happu with this old jointer
as the new one?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Toller wrote:

Having you around is great; you are like the little idiot brother I
never had.

Uncalled for.

How can you have a brother you never had?

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to rec.woodworking

"The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote in message
. uk...
Toller wrote:

Having you around is great; you are like the little idiot brother I
never had.

Uncalled for.

Have you read his posts over the last month?

How can you have a brother you never had?

"Like". English not your native language?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 20 Sep 2006 06:00:38 -0700, stryped wrote:

I just went on the sears website to see if I could find blades for this old
jointer. I saw on clearance a jointer on clearance for 239. It was before
399.99. It can be shipped to the store for free.

I wish I had known about this before I bought this old one. Should I keep
going on trying to get this old one going with new knives, belt, etc or
shoudl I cut my losses? Will I be as happu with this old jointer as the new
one?

Seems to me, you'd be better off with the one you have. First, because you
have it. Second, because you're going to learn quite a bit about what a
jointer is, how it works, and how to maintain it, by getting it into working
order. That's valuable knowledge, gained at relatively low financial risk.

--
Art Greenberg
artg at eclipse dot net

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

stryped wrote:
I just went on the sears website to see if I could find blades for this
old jointer. I saw on clearance a jointer on clearance for 239. It was
before 399.99. It can be shipped to the store for free.

I wish I had known about this before I bought this old one. Should I
keep going on trying to get this old one going with new knives, belt,
etc or shoudl I cut my losses? Will I be as happu with this old jointer
as the new one?

Nobody here can tell you what to do, you'll have to make that decision
yourself.

Somebody else noted there's a lot of value in learning something about
refurbishing old equipment--assuming, of course, you're interested
enough in woodworking that you're going to continue to do some. For
me, there's far more pleasure in getting something back in shape than
just buying a new gew-gaw, but that's me.

As for knives for this machine, you can measure the knives you have and
any knife of the same length, width and thickness (VERY important!)
will be fine. Sears, in general, would be about the last place I'd go
looking for tooling.

As noted in other response, unless these knives are in very poor shape,
resharpening them would be my first choice.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 20 Sep 2006 06:00:38 -0700, "stryped" wrote:

I just went on the sears website to see if I could find blades for this
old jointer. I saw on clearance a jointer on clearance for 239. It was
before 399.99. It can be shipped to the store for free.

I wish I had known about this before I bought this old one. Should I
keep going on trying to get this old one going with new knives, belt,
etc or shoudl I cut my losses? Will I be as happu with this old jointer
as the new one?

Depending on how old your machine is, my guess is though it might not be hi-tech
or whatever, it's probably better built than a new one and has a lot more steel
in it...
You might consider your restore as gained knowledge that you'll have if you have
a problem with the machine later, as opposed to having to learn to
troubleshoot/fix the new one later...
Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis

Posted to rec.woodworking

Toller wrote:

Having you around is great; you are like the little idiot brother I
never had.

Uncalled for.

Have you read his posts over the last month?

At least he's not giving electrical advice.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

care to correspond with you anyway.
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article . com, "stryped" wrote:
Where would be the best place if not sears to buy knives at a good
price?

http://www.google.com

Sheesh.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

"stryped" wrote:

I just went on the sears website to see if I could find blades for this
old jointer. I saw on clearance a jointer on clearance for 239. It was
before 399.99. It can be shipped to the store for free.

I wish I had known about this before I bought this old one. Should I
keep going on trying to get this old one going with new knives, belt,
etc or shoudl I cut my losses? Will I be as happu with this old jointer
as the new one?

I'd say keep the old one.

1) Why new knives? I was surprised at how reasonable they were to
sharpen when I ruined mine by running plywood edges through. Seems
like they charged $0.50 per inch, or $9 for a set of 6" knives.

2) A link belt is not very expensive. Not sure why you are using a
belt the wrong size.

3) Get a guard. How does it mount? Unless it is a unique design for
Sears, you should be able to find one that works.

4) Align the tables and you will be good to go, for a lot less money
than new.
Posted to rec.woodworking

I am not sure how the guard mounts. Where can I find a replacement?

Here is a picture of a similar jointer.
http://www.owwm.com/PhotoIndex/detail.asp?id=1546 WHat do you think?

Problem with blades is mine look like someone has tried to regrind
them. I cant tell what the origional angle was supposed to be. Looks
like it maybe has two angles?

alexy wrote:
"stryped" wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

(Doug Miller) wrote in
news
In article . com,
"stryped" wrote:
Where would be the best place if not sears to buy knives at a good
price?

http://www.google.com

Sheesh.

No, it's Google. Not Sheesh. ;-)

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

alexy wrote in
:

*snip*

1) Why new knives? I was surprised at how reasonable they were to
sharpen when I ruined mine by running plywood edges through. Seems
like they charged $0.50 per inch, or $9 for a set of 6" knives.

*snip*

There's a cutlery place in our local mall that does knife sharpening.
They're about $1 per inch (from what the guy told me) but if you've got a
good set of knives it's well worth the price.

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

stryped wrote:
I just went on the sears website to see if I could find blades for this
old jointer. I saw on clearance a jointer on clearance for 239. It was
before 399.99. It can be shipped to the store for free.

I wish I had known about this before I bought this old one. Should I
keep going on trying to get this old one going with new knives, belt,
etc or shoudl I cut my losses? Will I be as happu with this old jointer
as the new one?

To me, it's not either/or. I'd get the new one, set it up, and run some
boards on it. Then I'd refurb the old one and see if I could make it
work just as well. Either way, I should end up with at least one good
jointer and maybe one to sell, and along the way I'll have learned all
about jointers for very low tuition.

If you want to joint today, get the new one. If you want to mess around
with a machine and see what happens, keep the old one. If you want
both, do both. If you only want to joint, get the new one and sell the
old one, or part it out, or turn it into a conceptual lawn sculpture.

One way I learn about any item-- not just tools-- is by trying an
ostenbsibly crummy one next to an ostensibly good one. Sometimes the
difference is negligible for my purposes. Sometimes it's night and day.
Either way, lesson learned.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote in news:wnbQg.22022$r61.5681
@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk:

Toller wrote:

Having you around is great; you are like the little idiot brother I
never had.

Uncalled for.

How can you have a brother you never had?

Simple, the mother has a baby. At that point, it's a brother or sister
that the person has now that they never had before.

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Toller" wrote in message ...
SNIP
Having you around is great; you are like the little idiot brother I never
had.

Must be great to feel so superior to others.You must really feel like you are a king because you don't ask for advice instead of jumping head long into a decision you might regret. To have so much extra money that researching before you make a purchase is unnecessary. The world has truly blessed you.
Puff

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 13:26:36 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

Having you around is great; you are like the little idiot brother I never
had.

Saved your parents the embarassment of spawning 2 idiots.
Posted to rec.woodworking

I actually like working on machines like this but it would bother me if
I spent alot of time and it still did not cut as good as that new one.

Also, It is easy to spend omoney on tools, etc more than the cost of a
new one. For example, been reading a dial indicator is the best way to
set blades. They are 34 bucks at sears. The magnetic base for it is 44.
That adds up quick!
dpb wrote:
stryped wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

"stryped" wrote:

I actually like working on machines like this but it would bother me if
I spent alot of time and it still did not cut as good as that new one.

Also, It is easy to spend omoney on tools, etc more than the cost of a
new one. For example, been reading a dial indicator is the best way to
set blades. They are 34 bucks at sears. The magnetic base for it is 44.
That adds up quick!

As several people have indicated, you really need to get familiar with
googleg.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/g9849

$22.25
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article .com, "stryped" wrote:
I actually like working on machines like this but it would bother me if
I spent alot of time and it still did not cut as good as that new one.

Also, It is easy to spend omoney on tools, etc more than the cost of a
new one. For example, been reading a dial indicator is the best way to
set blades. They are 34 bucks at sears. The magnetic base for it is 44.
That adds up quick!

http://www.google.com

You can *easily* find many sources of dial indicators for a lot less than
that.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks for that! I just wish I could find that price locally. I would
like to set up this weekend or so. Does Grizzley have fast shipping for
you guys who order form there?
alexy wrote:
"stryped" wrote:

I actually like working on machines like this but it would bother me if
I spent alot of time and it still did not cut as good as that new one.

Also, It is easy to spend omoney on tools, etc more than the cost of a
new one. For example, been reading a dial indicator is the best way to
set blades. They are 34 bucks at sears. The magnetic base for it is 44.
That adds up quick!

As several people have indicated, you really need to get familiar with
googleg.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/g9849

$22.25

Posted to rec.woodworking

But at some point, you're going to want to set the blades on a new jointer
anyway. So it's not like that money's wasted. You can also use the dial
indicator and base for setting up other tools, like saws, as well as
measuring run-out on things that spin around (routers, drill presses, etc),
preferably with the power off.

One of your first issues is going to Sears to buy tools and tool
accessories. For example, go to www.amazon.com, and type in "dial
indicator" as a search item. It will come up with a ton of options,
starting at $20 for both the indicator and magnetic base. I think the
Starrett was $150, though, so save your pennies.

Here's my other thought. I wouldn't pay anything for a new tool with the
"Craftsman" name on it. I know, it seems like they've got some decent
tablesaws now, and they've probably got some other gems in their pile of
stuff. And yes, it seems like some of the previously "good" brands turn out
more lemons now than they used to. But that's my personal opinion.

Having said that, the $50 you spent on the second-hand Craftsman didn't seem
like a bad investment, although I probably wouldn't have done it. $50 on an
old Jet or Delta, yeah, no problem. But not a Craftsman. Difficulty in
finding parts and consumables, lack of specific knowledge on the Internet,
etc would have dissuaded me. On the plus side, you probably can't lose too
much money on the purchase. If you get it up and running, you should be
able to re-coup any expenses (original purchase + reasonable parts) if you
decide you need to get rid of it later. Same can't be said for the new
jointer, I don't think. So I'd stick with the old one for now, plug away on
it for awhile, see if you can get it working.

Clint

oups.com...

dpb wrote:
stryped wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

I don't know where you live, but here (Edmonton, AB, Canada, population
about 1,000,000), I can look in the phone book and find a good dozen places
that sell tools and accessories, and most of their stuff would be less than
Sears. More knowledgeable staff, too. Even in the town I lived in before
(population 100,000), there was at least 4 tool places that I could wander
in and around on a Saturday morning.

Your questions about whether Grizzly has fast shipping could be best
answered by going to the Grizzly website (which someone gave to you) and/or
phoning their 1-800 number.

Clint

oups.com...
alexy wrote:
"stryped" wrote:

I actually like working on machines like this but it would bother me if
I spent alot of time and it still did not cut as good as that new one.

Also, It is easy to spend omoney on tools, etc more than the cost of a
new one. For example, been reading a dial indicator is the best way to
set blades. They are 34 bucks at sears. The magnetic base for it is 44.
That adds up quick!

As several people have indicated, you really need to get familiar with
googleg.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/g9849

$22.25
--
Alex -- Replace "nospam" with "mail" to reply by email. Checked
infrequently.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Clint wrote:

Here's my other thought. I wouldn't pay anything for a new tool with the
"Craftsman" name on it.

Ask the cashier to pry the nameplate off for you.

Posted to rec.woodworking

stryped wrote:
I just went on the sears website to see if I could find blades for
this old jointer. I saw on clearance a jointer on clearance for
239. It was before 399.99. It can be shipped to the store for free.

I wish I had known about this before I bought this old one. Should I
keep going on trying to get this old one going with new knives,
belt, etc or shoudl I cut my losses? Will I be as happu with this
old jointer as the new one?

Facts...
1. You paid $50 for the old one (?)
2. It needs knives (and cutter head?)
3. It needs a guard
4. You indicate that the tables need some work

Supposition...
1. The old one *may* be built like a brick, errrr...house

Rhetorical questions...
1. How good is the new one for $239? (looks OK from photo)
2. Why was the price reduced by 40%? (Supplanted by a newer model,
looks like.)

What to do...
1. If you buy the new one and junk the old one, your total cost is
$289 and you save a bunch of time messing with the old one. You could
also fix the old one and sell it for more than you paid *IF* you get
it functional without spending major money.

2. If you decide to fix the old and not buy the new you are faced with
unknown costs and time and the possibility of still not having a
machine you are happy with.

Given the above, I'd buy the new and spend a bit of time trying to fix
the old. If time and/or costs got excessive - or if I ran into
unsuspected, major problems - I'd junk it. Given your obsession over
joining for lo these many weeks that is what I would suggest for you
even though you could use your router and make perfectly lovely
straight edges on boards.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"stryped" wrote in message
ups.com...
I just went on the sears website to see if I could find blades for this
old jointer. I saw on clearance a jointer on clearance for 239. It was
before 399.99. It can be shipped to the store for free.

I wish I had known about this before I bought this old one. Should I
keep going on trying to get this old one going with new knives, belt,
etc or shoudl I cut my losses? Will I be as happu with this old jointer
as the new one?

You will never be happy. Better just take all those woodworking tools to
the dump right now. Rumor has it that there are new saws coming out on the
market, painted different colors than the previous models. If you don't get
out now, you're just going to be a frustrated person.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"stryped" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks for that! I just wish I could find that price locally. I would
like to set up this weekend or so. Does Grizzley have fast shipping for
you guys who order form there?

Have you looked at Harbor Freight??? Maybe you should.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote:

You will never be happy. Better just take all those woodworking tools to
the dump right now. Rumor has it that there are new saws coming out on the
market, painted different colors than the previous models. If you don't get
out now, you're just going to be a frustrated person.

And for heaven's sake, never buy a computer! Or at least get it sent
to you express, in which case you might get to use it for up to a week
before the next better/cheaper model comes out.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 12:23:16 -0500, "Puff Griffis"
wrote:

"Toller" wrote in message ...
SNIP
Having you around is great; you are like the little idiot brother I never
had.

Must be great to feel so superior to others.You must really feel like you are
a king because you don't ask for advice instead of jumping head long into a
decision you might regret. To have so much extra money that researching before
you make a purchase is unnecessary. The world has truly blessed you.

Researching...now *there's* an interesting clue for the idiot brother.

--
Chuck Taylor
http://home.hiwaay.net/~taylorc/contact/
Posted to rec.woodworking

stryped wrote:

shoudl I cut my losses?

You should switch your computer off and go and fix your jointer.