Posted to rec.woodworking
Clint Clint is offline

Default Tools for Woodwork???

As someone who went through this not that long ago, here's my advice, with
regards to saws...

Get a good handheld circular saw, instead of a cheap table saw. Something
like a Porter Cable, Dewalt, Makita, etc. With a straight-edge, some
clamps, and the circular saw, you can do a lot more of the "honey-do" list
than you can do with a table saw. With a circular saw and cordless drill,
you can build a deck, as an example, where the table saw is pretty useless.

A compound mitre saw was my next saw purchase.

Then I got a bandsaw, followed eventually with a tablesaw.

Other thoughts:

Another good "early" tool can be a decent router. Get one with plunge
capacity, variable speed, and a 1/2" collet.

You can never have enough clamps, or enough variety in clamps.

A drill press (even a small one) can be used for much besides drilling
holes. Sanding, buffing, drilling, etc.

When buying things like screwdrivers, drill bits, router bits, wrenches,
etc, you don't need to buy the most expensive ones, but the cheapest ones
aren't always the value they seem in the store.

Clint

"Dipesh" wrote in message
ps.com...
Folks,

Just bought a house and need to fix/re do a few things.

Wanted to buy few good wood working tools first. I know it is one of
the best investments we could make.

Job types may defer depending on time, weather etc .

any quick list some one can compile which are needed in most types of
work?

I already have:

(1) Cordless screw drive
(2) Hammer
(3) Level.

Questions:

(1) Is it worth to buy the kits for woodworking (Consumer Reports says
Ryobi has got the best one under 200).
(2) Does Table saw make sense?

Thanks,
DJ