Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Tools for Woodwork???

Folks,

Just bought a house and need to fix/re do a few things.

Wanted to buy few good wood working tools first. I know it is one of
the best investments we could make.

Job types may defer depending on time, weather etc .

any quick list some one can compile which are needed in most types of
work?

I already have:

(1) Cordless screw drive
(2) Hammer
(3) Level.

Questions:

(1) Is it worth to buy the kits for woodworking (Consumer Reports says
Ryobi has got the best one under 200).
(2) Does Table saw make sense?

Thanks,
DJ

Posted to rec.woodworking

Dipesh wrote:

Questions:

(1) Is it worth to buy the kits for woodworking (Consumer Reports says
Ryobi has got the best one under 200).
(2) Does Table saw make sense?

To me, the table saw is without doubt the greatest thing in the
universe.

But judging from your question, what you really might need right now is
books, or at least a book. A classic that covers a huge amount of
ground, including the basic homeowner's toolkit, is Reader's Digest
Complete Do-It-Yourself Manual. The coverage may be shallow, but it's
also broad.

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Do-Yo...e=UTF8&s=books

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dipesh" wrote in message
ps.com...
Folks,

Just bought a house and need to fix/re do a few things.

Wanted to buy few good wood working tools first. I know it is one of
the best investments we could make.

Job types may defer depending on time, weather etc .

any quick list some one can compile which are needed in most types of
work?

I already have:

(1) Cordless screw drive
(2) Hammer
(3) Level.

As someone who rehabs houses, these are the tools I could not live without:

- CMS
- circular saw
- punch
- framing sqaure
- chaulk line
- jig saw (saber saw) or rotory tool
- reciprocating saw
- pry bar
- two hammers
- a utility knife.
- caulk gun
- tape measure
- sledge
- sharpie markers

YMMV

Questions:

(1) Is it worth to buy the kits for woodworking (Consumer Reports says
Ryobi has got the best one under 200).

No.

(2) Does Table saw make sense?

I worked many years without a tablesaw, now that I have one, I don't know
how I did without. Actually I do, I just did a lot of things differently,
probably not as well.

Thanks,
DJ

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dipesh" wrote in message
ps.com...
Folks,

Just bought a house and need to fix/re do a few things.

Wanted to buy few good wood working tools first. I know it is one of
the best investments we could make.

Job types may defer depending on time, weather etc .

any quick list some one can compile which are needed in most types of
work?

I already have:

(1) Cordless screw drive
(2) Hammer
(3) Level.

Questions:

(1) Is it worth to buy the kits for woodworking (Consumer Reports says
Ryobi has got the best one under 200).
(2) Does Table saw make sense?

Thanks,
DJ

It all depends on what you mean by "fix/re do a few things". If that means
repairing doors/windows or inside or outside trim, then get a Crosscut Miter
Saw. If its means building new walls, roofs or other framing work then a
quality circular saw (Skil/Bosch 77). If it means, "I want to start
building kitchen/bath cabinets, then a quality table saw is in your future.

However, first you need to have a shop/garage, complete with solid
workbench, saw horses, vise and other assorted tools.

Building your shop, bench storage cabinets and other assorted racks and
shelves will give you the desire to learn more. Stick around here, ask lots
of questions and don't be shy. Just try Google searching for answers first.
(Like, how to build your own workbench plans free) Check in here once you
have decided on two or three ideas and ask for advice to help you narrow it
down further.

Good luck, make sawdust!

Dave

http://www.usenet.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

I remodel houses for a living. here's the short list of things I carry
everyday:
Power tools:
Big a.. radio, drill, Circular saw, recip saw, Jig saw, various nail guns
and small air compressor,shop vac
In my tool pouch:
hammer(s) tape measure, chalk line, knife, speed square, nail set, chisel(s)
flat bar(s), cat's paw (nail puller), plumb bob,4-n-1 screwdriver, and one
big level
I also have a large stash of tools at the shop at my disposal, miter saw,
table saw, etc, that I carry when needed.
What you are doing largely dictates which tools you'll need, but here are
some basics. --dave

"Dipesh" wrote in message
ps.com...
Folks,

Just bought a house and need to fix/re do a few things.

Wanted to buy few good wood working tools first. I know it is one of
the best investments we could make.

Job types may defer depending on time, weather etc .

any quick list some one can compile which are needed in most types of
work?

I already have:

(1) Cordless screw drive
(2) Hammer
(3) Level.

Questions:

(1) Is it worth to buy the kits for woodworking (Consumer Reports says
Ryobi has got the best one under 200).
(2) Does Table saw make sense?

Thanks,
DJ

Posted to rec.woodworking

Yeah, I like that book. And the older edition can be had for almost
nothing:
http://product.half.ebay.com/New-Com...nfoQQprZ998965

Newer edition, less than Amazone:
http://product.half.ebay.com/Complet...59818QQtgZinfo

I also like the Black & Decker series of books. The cutaway shots are
great.

Mike

boorite wrote:
But judging from your question, what you really might need right now is
books, or at least a book. A classic that covers a huge amount of
ground, including the basic homeowner's toolkit, is Reader's Digest
Complete Do-It-Yourself Manual. The coverage may be shallow, but it's
also broad.

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Do-Yo...e=UTF8&s=books

Posted to rec.woodworking

You got a lot of good advice already and I will also say that the new series
of Black and Decker books for home improvement and repair are excellent and
will give you an idea of what tools you need for various projects. A table
saw is nice but you can do so much with a circular saw particularly when you
have some saw horses, clamps, and something to use for a guide which can be
nothing more than a straight piece of board. The metal saw horses that you
see at Lowes or HD for $20 are nice and they have adjustable legs.

Having said that I think you are referring to the Ryobi cordless kit of
power tools. Their drill is decent but most everything else in the kit is so
so from what I have heard, though may be adequate for you, and I strongly
suggest that you get a corded circular saw. Makita makes a nice lightweight
circular saw and you can get a recon one right now with full warranty from
Toolking as shown at the link below for $60. Cordless drills are great but
if you are going to be a lot of drilling with spade bits you want a corded
drill also. As others mentioned a power miter saw is great but if you are
only going to do a few miters for molding, etc a miter box and hand saw will
do fine. Since you mention wood I would be sure to look at some power
sanders. I can't imagine most anyone not finding a 5 inch random orbit
sander to not be useful.

Steve

http://www.toolking.com/productinfo.aspx?productid=3353

"Dipesh" wrote in message
ps.com...
Folks,

Just bought a house and need to fix/re do a few things.

Wanted to buy few good wood working tools first. I know it is one of
the best investments we could make.

Job types may defer depending on time, weather etc .

any quick list some one can compile which are needed in most types of
work?

I already have:

(1) Cordless screw drive
(2) Hammer
(3) Level.

Questions:

(1) Is it worth to buy the kits for woodworking (Consumer Reports says
Ryobi has got the best one under 200).
(2) Does Table saw make sense?

Thanks,
DJ

Posted to rec.woodworking

Dipesh wrote:
Folks,

Just bought a house and need to fix/re do a few things.

Wanted to buy few good wood working tools first. I know it is one of
the best investments we could make.

Job types may defer depending on time, weather etc .

any quick list some one can compile which are needed in most types of
work?

I already have:

(1) Cordless screw drive
(2) Hammer
(3) Level.

Questions:

(1) Is it worth to buy the kits for woodworking (Consumer Reports says
Ryobi has got the best one under 200).
(2) Does Table saw make sense?

Thanks,
DJ

I would suggest that you make a list of these tools and go to your
local flea market. Take about $200 and start doing some wheeling and
dealing and buy yourself some tools at a bargain. You will probably
find your tools at $.25 to $.50 on the dollar.
fred

Posted to rec.woodworking

DJ:

I am going to go in another direction from the great advise others have
offered.

Christmas season is coming which means the Sears / K-mart stores will be
having hand tools on sale. No longer the best hand tools, but value wise
the packages of hand tool sets they put on sale is not a bad price for the
quantity of hand tools.

I would recommend:
--set of locking pliers (vice grips),
--set of slip joint pliers (channel lock pliers)
--'complete' set of screw-drivers
-- electrician pliers set (Lineman's, diagonal, needle nose)
--set of adjustable wrenches ("crescent wrenches")
--set of socket wrenches 3/8 drive
--either a socket wrench set 1/4 inch or nut driver set
--METRIC AND ENGLISH sets of Allen wrenches (you need both sets)
--set of open / closed box wrenches
--dry wall tools

And don't forget the tool box.

To be honest, for my home repairs I seem to always need a screw driver,
pliers of some sort, a flashlight, pencil and three trips to the hardware
store (or home improvement big box) and if I need a power tool, it usually
is a drill. Now, home projects, well that is another whole story. Again,
for home repair, hand tools (the one you cannot find) a drill and that drill
bit that was broken two weeks ago, and a flashlight (the one with the 'good'
batteries,) or some special tool that I cannot find, afford, or locate on a
Saturday afternoon.

Phil

"Dipesh" wrote in message
ps.com...
Folks,

Just bought a house and need to fix/re do a few things.

Wanted to buy few good wood working tools first. I know it is one of
the best investments we could make.

Job types may defer depending on time, weather etc .

any quick list some one can compile which are needed in most types of
work?

I already have:

(1) Cordless screw drive
(2) Hammer
(3) Level.

Questions:

(1) Is it worth to buy the kits for woodworking (Consumer Reports says
Ryobi has got the best one under 200).
(2) Does Table saw make sense?

Thanks,
DJ

Posted to rec.woodworking

Dave Jackson wrote:
I remodel houses for a living. here's the short list of things I carry
everyday:
Power tools:
Big a.. radio

Let's not underestimate the importance of the radio!

I have an "on-site tunes kit", consisting of a portable AM/FM/CD player,
and XM radio with 30' antenna wire, power strip, remote for the XM, etc...

Gotta' have it! G
Posted to rec.woodworking

As someone who went through this not that long ago, here's my advice, with
regards to saws...

Get a good handheld circular saw, instead of a cheap table saw. Something
like a Porter Cable, Dewalt, Makita, etc. With a straight-edge, some
clamps, and the circular saw, you can do a lot more of the "honey-do" list
than you can do with a table saw. With a circular saw and cordless drill,
you can build a deck, as an example, where the table saw is pretty useless.

A compound mitre saw was my next saw purchase.

Then I got a bandsaw, followed eventually with a tablesaw.

Other thoughts:

Another good "early" tool can be a decent router. Get one with plunge
capacity, variable speed, and a 1/2" collet.

You can never have enough clamps, or enough variety in clamps.

A drill press (even a small one) can be used for much besides drilling
holes. Sanding, buffing, drilling, etc.

When buying things like screwdrivers, drill bits, router bits, wrenches,
etc, you don't need to buy the most expensive ones, but the cheapest ones
aren't always the value they seem in the store.

Clint

"Dipesh" wrote in message
ps.com...
Folks,

Just bought a house and need to fix/re do a few things.

Wanted to buy few good wood working tools first. I know it is one of
the best investments we could make.

Job types may defer depending on time, weather etc .

any quick list some one can compile which are needed in most types of
work?

I already have:

(1) Cordless screw drive
(2) Hammer
(3) Level.

Questions:

(1) Is it worth to buy the kits for woodworking (Consumer Reports says
Ryobi has got the best one under 200).
(2) Does Table saw make sense?

Thanks,
DJ

Posted to rec.woodworking

CW wrote:
One of the great things about where I'm working at the moment. No radios
allowed.

I have earbuds and radio muffs for those places... G
Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

Wouldn't help. Those aren't allowed either.

"B A R R Y" wrote in message
CW wrote:
One of the great things about where I'm working at the moment. No radios
allowed.

I have earbuds and radio muffs for those places... G

Posted to rec.woodworking

Dipesh wrote:
Folks,

(1) Is it worth to buy the kits for woodworking (Consumer Reports says
Ryobi has got the best one under 200).
(2) Does Table saw make sense?

Thanks,
DJ

The "kits" are fine for light work around the house. Don't expect the
tools to last a lifetime.

Yes, a table saw always makes sense. Get the biggest one you can
afford. (Go used and double the size for the same $$$). The delta
12/14 is a nice entry level saw for the home shop.

Posted to rec.woodworking

CW wrote:
Wouldn't help. Those aren't allowed either.

Killjoys... G