Posted to rec.woodworking
Phil-in-MI Phil-in-MI is offline

Default Tools for Woodwork???

DJ:

I am going to go in another direction from the great advise others have
offered.

Christmas season is coming which means the Sears / K-mart stores will be
having hand tools on sale. No longer the best hand tools, but value wise
the packages of hand tool sets they put on sale is not a bad price for the
quantity of hand tools.

I would recommend:
--set of locking pliers (vice grips),
--set of slip joint pliers (channel lock pliers)
--'complete' set of screw-drivers
-- electrician pliers set (Lineman's, diagonal, needle nose)
--set of adjustable wrenches ("crescent wrenches")
--set of socket wrenches 3/8 drive
--either a socket wrench set 1/4 inch or nut driver set
--METRIC AND ENGLISH sets of Allen wrenches (you need both sets)
--set of open / closed box wrenches
--dry wall tools

And don't forget the tool box.

To be honest, for my home repairs I seem to always need a screw driver,
pliers of some sort, a flashlight, pencil and three trips to the hardware
store (or home improvement big box) and if I need a power tool, it usually
is a drill. Now, home projects, well that is another whole story. Again,
for home repair, hand tools (the one you cannot find) a drill and that drill
bit that was broken two weeks ago, and a flashlight (the one with the 'good'
batteries,) or some special tool that I cannot find, afford, or locate on a
Saturday afternoon.

Phil

"Dipesh" wrote in message
ps.com...
Folks,

Just bought a house and need to fix/re do a few things.

Wanted to buy few good wood working tools first. I know it is one of
the best investments we could make.

Job types may defer depending on time, weather etc .

any quick list some one can compile which are needed in most types of
work?

I already have:

(1) Cordless screw drive
(2) Hammer
(3) Level.

Questions:

(1) Is it worth to buy the kits for woodworking (Consumer Reports says
Ryobi has got the best one under 200).
(2) Does Table saw make sense?

Thanks,
DJ