Posted to rec.woodworking
Steven L Umbach Steven L Umbach is offline

Default Tools for Woodwork???

You got a lot of good advice already and I will also say that the new series
of Black and Decker books for home improvement and repair are excellent and
will give you an idea of what tools you need for various projects. A table
saw is nice but you can do so much with a circular saw particularly when you
have some saw horses, clamps, and something to use for a guide which can be
nothing more than a straight piece of board. The metal saw horses that you
see at Lowes or HD for $20 are nice and they have adjustable legs.

Having said that I think you are referring to the Ryobi cordless kit of
power tools. Their drill is decent but most everything else in the kit is so
so from what I have heard, though may be adequate for you, and I strongly
suggest that you get a corded circular saw. Makita makes a nice lightweight
circular saw and you can get a recon one right now with full warranty from
Toolking as shown at the link below for $60. Cordless drills are great but
if you are going to be a lot of drilling with spade bits you want a corded
drill also. As others mentioned a power miter saw is great but if you are
only going to do a few miters for molding, etc a miter box and hand saw will
do fine. Since you mention wood I would be sure to look at some power
sanders. I can't imagine most anyone not finding a 5 inch random orbit
sander to not be useful.

Steve

http://www.toolking.com/productinfo.aspx?productid=3353

"Dipesh" wrote in message
ps.com...
Folks,

Just bought a house and need to fix/re do a few things.

Wanted to buy few good wood working tools first. I know it is one of
the best investments we could make.

Job types may defer depending on time, weather etc .

any quick list some one can compile which are needed in most types of
work?

I already have:

(1) Cordless screw drive
(2) Hammer
(3) Level.

Questions:

(1) Is it worth to buy the kits for woodworking (Consumer Reports says
Ryobi has got the best one under 200).
(2) Does Table saw make sense?

Thanks,
DJ