Anthony

Default Generators and Back-up power

(Paul Amaranth) wrote in
om:

"Toolbert" wrote in message
ws.com...
"Ryan" wrote in message
news:rjVKb.89186$6b2.6340@edtnps84...
So last month we bought a 7500 watt generator to make life smoother
and at least keep the heat and lights on Here is where my question
comes in.

Some
of the people around here say you can go to the breaker panel and
turn off the main breaker (from the grid) and make a "cheater plug"
to back-feed

the
breaker panel thru a 240volt outlet (of which we have several
"welder"

plugs
that would be ideal for this). What are the thoughts of the group
to do something like this? I understand it is a shortcut, but if
one was

sensible
about it is this a viable temporary option over the "transfer
switch" the local electrician wants 1000 bucks to install?

As Eric writes the cheater plug works but is an easy way to kill or
be killed.

The cheapest and most useful transfer setup, IMO, is the 60 or 100
amp single circuit style that consists of a small subpanel with a
pair of interlocked 240V breakers. Flip one off and the other on to
switch from utility to generator. The interlock prevents both from
being on at the same time.

You use this style by installing a separate subpanel next to the main
panel and moving the circuits you want to be "backed up" to the new
panel, then installing the manual transfer switch between the main
and subpanel. You then arent' limited by the circuit mix of the
(overpriced) GenTran style switches - like the lack of 30 amp
circuits.

The attraction of the GenTran switches is you just feed this bundle
of wires into the existing panel and make connections with wire nuts.

A pricier alternative to the interlocked-breakers switch is a "double
throw" disconnect - looks like a regular 60 or 100 amp disconnect
switch except it has two "on" positions. They are expensive retail
but can be found on ebay.

Bob

If you buy these new, look for the GE brand. I put in a 200Amp switch
in front of my breaker panel and it runs in the $300-400 range. The
next closest price was around $700. Seems ridiculous for basically a
knife switch in a big empty box, but there you go. Since you only
have a 100A box, you could go for a smaller one. The price seems to
go up exponentially with amperage ratings so even a new one would
probably be around $200. For smaller setups, the GenTran switches are
the way to go. You can probably find one cheap on e-bay.

Think of it as insurance. If anyone gets hurt or killed when you're
backfeeding your panel, the cost of the switch will pale into
insignificance. It's also way more convenient.

Paul

Not to mention, if the Electric Co. notices your backfeed plug, with no
interlock, it is HIGLY likely they will cut your power off (pull the
meter), as this is a huge safety no-no. You will be out the cost of an
electrical inspection, and a reconnect fee, and any other costs they want
to charge you before you can get power again. They don't want their
linemen getting killed while working on a line that is supposedly dead.

--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email