Posted to alt.home.repair
Chris Lewis Chris Lewis is offline

Default asphalt millings

According to webber1998 :

BobK207 wrote:
wrote:
Home made asphalt? Sounds a little risky.......I'd do a test batch
about 3' x 3' to make sure it works before I committed to a ~40 yds
potential disaster

Thanks Bob,

We are already committed to the millings and have no problems using it
just compacted. I wouldn't call it home made ashpalt. Just looking
for a way to cut down on all the loose gravel. W've used the millings
on a couple of driveways, compacted it well and it works just fine.
Typically longer driveways and the millings are a lot better then
gravel.

On this particular driveway, my son in law was wondering about seal
coating or some other substance to keep the excess gravel down and
would that, or something else, help to bond the millings.

Out of curiousity, I looked it up and found this:

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/dshw/rrtp/amgd.htm

[New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection Guidelines]

See section F3 and F4.

Basically, "loose" and "simple compaction" aren't permitted.

A binder (they mention "liquid asphalt" - this isn't driveway
sealer) or heat (essentially using it in a "normal" paving process
- provided that there's enough asphalt in the "millings").
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est