Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default I got a jointer...... not sure if I wanted it????

In article , "Locutus" wrote:

I admit I have never tried to get silicon off of an iron table before, but
it seems to be that if it can mess up finishing on wood, then apparently the
wood must be taking some of it off... if the wood is removing it, it seems
like it shouldn't be that hard to get it off of there...

The problem is that the stuff isn't soluble in most common solvents. The only
ones that I've observed to have any real effect on it are the chlorinated
hydrocarbons such as trichloroethane (the supposedly safer replacement for
carbon tetrachloride, AKA tetrachloromethane) and, believe it or not, common
household vinegar. Of course, vinegar isn't a real good thing to put on cast
iron...

I have observed the following solvents to *not* remove the residue of silicone
caulk from a bathtub and bath tiles:

soap & water
dish detergent
ammonia