Rex B

Default If you were building the dream shop

On 05 Jan 2004 03:35:49 GMT, (GJRepesh) wrote:

|I'm looking into expanding my current shop. I would like some input from recent
|shop projects. Comments on things you did right and wrong. What do you wish you
|had done. Things you did that didn't pay off. Type of construction. I'm looking
|for ideas. I'm near Dallas TX. I've talked to the city and know about size
|constraints, etc. It can be 15 feet tall at the highest roof point.
|
|My existing shop is 20 x 24. This would be incorportated into a larger shop of
|28 x 40 or 30 x 40. One of my concerns is the existing slab. It was cracked
|along the long axis and the back half has slopped into the good old tx black
|gumbo. I have filled the cracks and the floor has held up the last eight years.
|Shifts a little in the summer. Do I need to replace the slab? Have a foundation
|company relevel and install support piers? Ideas? I probably can build part of
|the expansion and move my machines into the new location. That would free up
|the existing area to redo.
|
|I'd appreciate some ideas.
|
|Gary Repesh

Gary
I'm in Keller, contemplating a 24x40. Definitely will include Pex tubes in
the slab for radiant heat. Add solar and ongoing costs are almost nil.
I also like skylights, and lots of windows.
Most shops have the overhead doors in the end-walls. I like eave-side
doors.

Considering a lot of contruction methods: Metal, tilt-wall (used panels), SIPs,
and even the styrofoam building blocks into which concrete is poured.

Metal roofing regardless.
Rex in Fort Worth