Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default I got a jointer...... not sure if I wanted it????

In article . com, "stryped" wrote:
Did I ruin the table by using silicone?

Probably not. But you should try to remove it ASAP.

I was going to use wd40 but did
not have any. Or can I remove the silicone with paint thinner?

No. Paint thinner won't touch the stuff. See below -- I already described what
to use to get it off.

Actually, they have a surface grinder at work. WIll this get the table
true if it is not already?

It will get the tables true, yes -- but you may need to make adjustments to
the jointer to get them coplanar.

Will I have to take the whole thing apart to
get the tables to a surface grinder?

I imagine that'd be easiest.

Doug Miller wrote:
In article om, "stryped"

wrote:

I cleaned up the thing. (It had a lot of wasp nests in it!). Cleaned
the table with paint thinker and then sprayed it and all the moving
parts with silicone.

Oops. That wasn't a good idea. Best to get the silicone off. About the only
thing that really has much of a chance of doing that is a dry-cleaning

solvent
such as trichloroethane or something similar. Look for the brand name
Carbo-Chlor at Ace or Tru-Value Hardware -- possibly at Home Depot, Lowes, or
Menards, too.

--
Regards,

Regards,