Posted to rec.woodworking
B A R R Y B A R R Y is offline

Default I got a jointer...... not sure if I wanted it????

Doug Miller wrote:
In article om, "stryped" wrote:

I am wondering if I could use automotive rubbing compound

NO. Don't use any automotive polishes, rubbing compounds, etc. on woodworking
equipment unless you are *certain* that they do not contain silicone (most
do).

I'd like to point out that "mass market" auto products, sold at Pep
Boys, Wal-Mart, etc... usually contain silicone, as Doug points out.

"Pro" products, like 3M, Mequires, PPG, etc... available at better auto
parts stores, auto paint suppliers, and hot rod shops, don't contain
silicone, and are clearly labeled as silicone-free. In my area, Advance
Auto, NAPA, and PPG Auto Paint stores all carry this stuff. My local
Sherwin-Williams stores can order it in.

Many woodworkers use pro-quality automotive products to finish and
repair lacquer finishes, as they are often of extremely high quality and
consistency, and less-expensive than similar products sold to the
woodworking market.

Just be certain of what you have, as Doug posted. If it dosen't say
"Silicone Free", it probably isn't.