Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default I got a jointer...... not sure if I wanted it????

In article om, "stryped" wrote:

I am wondering if I could use automotive rubbing compound

NO. Don't use any automotive polishes, rubbing compounds, etc. on woodworking
equipment unless you are *certain* that they do not contain silicone (most
do). You don't want silicone rubbing off of the equipment onto the wood,
because it will interfere with many finishes. (Google this group for more
info on that.)

and a buffer
to clean up the table. (Or will this make the table not flat anymore?)

It easily could. Light rust can be cleaned up by hand with steel wool, using
paint thinner or light machine oil as a lubricant. If the tables are heavily
rusted or pitted, it might be best to remove them and take them to a machine
shop that has a surface grinder to be resurfaced.

--
Regards,