Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] else24@gmail.com is offline

Default I got a jointer...... not sure if I wanted it????

stryped wrote:

The motor when I plugged it in works or at least spins without a belt.

Is this think going to be usable for edge jointing and face planing
small boards or is it going to be more trouble than it is worth?

Any informaion as always is appreciated!

Sounds a lot like the old craftsman 4-inch jointer I used to have,
right down to the homemade stand. I paid 60 bucks for it but it was
working at the time. :-)

Yeah, it's good for edge jointing of short boards, and face jointing
things like two by fours two feet long. Longer boards are really tricky
and I never got the hang of it. Always ended up taking a Stanley number
seven to 'em. (Which worked just fine for edges and was okay for faces
when combined with a DEEwalt planer.)

I spent a sunday afternoon taking it all apart and getting the tables
coplanar and cleaning it up. Put a linkbelt on it rather than try to
hunt down a belt the right size. Old woodworking tools website was a
lot of help.

I got frustrated with it's itsy bitsy size and I expect you will too,
but you'll learn a lot about jointers messing with it, and I thought
that was a good trade.

Had it for two years before I bought an eight-inch Griz and sold it for
fifty bucks.