Jim & Hils

Default The IDEAL Machinery Moving Trailer?

The website shows a single axle Selma Hydraulic. It's 5 pictures down in
the 1st column.
Jim

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
How about posting a picture of your trailer? That site doesn't seem to

show
anything beyond standard tilt-bed trailers. - GWE

Ron Leap wrote:
I got my idea for the perfect machinery moving trailer from the
machinery dealer that delivered my bridgeport clone milling machine.
He backed a trailer into my driveway, lowered the trailer bed down to
the ground and rolled the mill, which was on a caster frame, out of
the trailer into my garage. He did this by himself using only a
crowbar.

The trailer he used was a tandem axle Jacobsen Selma Hydraulic
Trailer. These are commonly known as kneeling trailers. Jacobsen's
website is: http://www.jacobsentrailers.com/trailerline.htm.

The advantage to these trailers is that the bed remains much more
parallel to the ground than a tilt-bed trailer. In fact, if you
unhitch the trailer and lower the bed and the tongue jack
concurrently, you can lower the bed perfectly parallel with the
ground. These trailers come in both single and tandem axle models.
The tandem model has a 8000 lb GVW and a 6' x 12' bed that will handle
almost anything with which a recreational machinist would be involved.

After seeing this trailer I looked for years to find a used one.
These trailers seldom are found used. I think this is because of the
high initial price compared to a common utility or tilt-bed trailer,
and the fact they are so versatile that their owners are reluctant to
part with them. I finally found a very old tandem axle one advertised
in the local paper. It was in rough but working condition. I have
had it for several years and still have friends asking to borrow it
all the time.

If one is looking for a trailer that can move machinery and be used
for other things and is not interested in equiping hisself as a
machinery mover, I don't think there is a finer piece of equipment.