Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default Strange Plumbing on Hot Water Heater

In article , "El Penguini" wrote:
I'm looking for any input on the following condition:

1. Hot water heater is heated as a zone from my multi-zone oil heating
system. There are two other zones, one for each floor.
2. Approximately 30 from the hot water discharge on the hot water heater
(the pipes that eventually lead to the sinks and showers, not back to the
furnace) there is an approximately 1/2" pipe that routes back to the cold
water inlet side of the hot water heater. There is a check valve that lets
the water flow the way I described it and a globe valve to cut the flow if
desired.

[snip]
If you have some thoughts, or even better, some facts, please comment.

Sounds like a recirculation system to allow faster delivery of hot water to
the sinks and showers.

--
Regards,