Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Ken Davis Ken Davis is offline

Default Where do you start?

shrug
I've heard much the same argument from a turner demoing at out club, the
month before Ray Jones argued - more successfully - the narrower tool.

Both views are, IMHO correct *but*, having tried both, I reckon that -
for a beginner - the narrow one is *far* easier to learn on and almost
impossible even to force a dig with.

Having got the hang of it, the learner can then have more confidence to
use a wider tool, should he feel it necessary and, in my experience
since starting to use the narrow one, it rarely, if ever, is.

It all ends up in personal preferences, anyway.

Ken