Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Ken Davis Ken Davis is offline

Default Where do you start?

In article ,
(George) wrote:

*From:* "George"
*Date:* Thu, 07 Sep 2006 09:56:59 GMT

kdavisa-at-cix.co.uk (Ken Davis) wrote in message Try using a
3/8" beading and parting tool to take a planing cut - or
better, sharpen it like a skew.

Better yet, use a wider straight chisel. Skews were designed to
plane wood, not form it into beads or coves. Used to have right

Having been away for about 9 days, I saw this on returning and I'm
afraid I disagree completely.
The problem was "digs" and I'd suggested trying a narrower tool - the
3/8" beading and parting tool or, preferably a 3/8" skew because digs are
*much* less likely to happen with a narrow tool and, if you should still
get one, not so drastic.

To then suggest a *wider* tool seems to me to indicate that the original
problem is simply being ignored!

Ken