Posted to sci.electronics.repair
moonlite moonlite is offline

Default sony trinitron 32"

wrote:
i found an earlier question very similar to my own. I have a 32" sony
trinitron TV and the picture cuts in and out. it started about 6 mons
ago and at first it was just when the tv was warming up, the problem
has gotten progressively worse. the screen stays black until the tv has
"warmed" up for about 5 minutes. then the picture cuts on and off
without ever losing sound. it does it a little less frequently as the
tv is completely "warmed" up. The problem has gotten very bad now. it
is not channel searching. it stays on the correct channel (channel i
chose) there is never any change in the picture when it is showing (no
color or clarity changes) it just cycles picture/no picture, no matter
how long tv is on or how long its been left turned off. i am
electronically illiterate so i cant "fix" the problem myself, i would
just like to know what it may be, wether it's going to be mondo
expensive to have repaired, or should i just chuck it and get a new
one. all replies greatly appreciated.

If your tv was made in the 90's, then most likely your picture tube is
gone. These Sony tubes have a special circuit which will cut off video
just in the manner you're describing when the tube becomes weak. Of
course, I can explain the technical side of it, but all you really have
to know, if you're not electronically inclined, is that your TV has
served its purpose on this earth. Start looking for another one. Sorry
for the bad news.