Posted to rec.woodworking
Morris Dovey Morris Dovey is offline

Default compound miter question

(in
) said:

| I think you understand my problem correctly. But the issue seems
| to be, when you miter the molding at a 34 degree angle, the length
| of the cut edge is maybe 10". If I just bevel the return at 45
| deg., I will be trying to line up a 10" edge with a 6" edge. When
| I cut the return at a 34 degree angle also, it seems to go in a
| different direction (down from the ceiling, instead of back towards
| the wall). Which makes me think I am not orienting the return piece
| correctly on the CMS when i cut it. But I have tried turning it
| around, upside down and backwards, and I still can't get it to work.

The cut pieces can match up properly only if the lengths of the cut
edges are equal. The only way to make that happen is to cut each of
the pieces at 1/2 the angle between them.

BTW, a good way to avoid confusion with questions like this is to take
a digital photo (borrow a friend's camera - and friend - if necessary)
and post an article with photo attached to the
news:alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking newsgroup.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar