Backlash

Default If you were building the dream shop

steamer, what type of sprinkler system do you have? A standard misconception
of some people watching TV is that ALL sprinklers go off in a fire
situation, due to the movies making it more dramatic this way. In reality, I
understand that there are at least 2 other types of systems. One type goes
off all together, with a central valve controlled by remote sensors, then
the thermally activated ones where only the affected heads go off when
activated by localized heat..These have a thermal link that melts at the
prescribed temp, the stops fly out, and there's no stopping it short of
cutting off water supply. All I've ever been exposed to directly in local
factories are the thermal type. Prophylene glycol is used in our outdoor
exposed units to prevent freezing, with a check valve to prevent
back-contamination of the water supply.

RJ

"steamer" wrote in message
--Just finished putting a 2nd floor on my shop; 900 sq ft
addition, woohoo! I'm putting my office up there (here now) and all of the
non-dirty non-noisy shop stuff; it's amazing what a collection that
involves! In spite of getting it all done to code, which includes *lots*
of stuff I wouldn't have bothered with and would consider downright bad
ideas; for instance sprinklers are now mandatory; there's one *directly*
over my computer, so if there's a little bit of hot weld that gets too
close to a squirter downstairs I lose everything! Next up: a beach
umbrella above my workstation; it'll look weird indoors, but what else can
I do? It's also "brass monkey" cold in here in the mornings due in part
to increased exposure to cold breezes, plus a rotten winter. I'm going to
add a free-standing propane heater, but it sits beneath *another*
squirter; must be careful to not set temp too high...
--I've more suggestions than I can think of; maybe I should start
blogging it.

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Another happy ****** living
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : in the Golden Age of Porno...