Posted to alt.home.repair
Eigenvector Eigenvector is offline

Default Self Cleaning Oven - Just Say NO!!

"Jack" wrote in message
ups.com...

Charles Pisano wrote:
I recently purchased a (new construction) vacation home and it came with
a SC oven. I've never bothered to buy myself one of these so I was
unfamiliar.

I attempted to use it the other evening and quickly became sick from the
fumes even though I had opened windows. After doing very little reading
(about small birds dying etc), I quickly realized super heating the
Teflon in an oven (or any teflon) to save oneself the trouble of
getting in there and cleaning it is not worth the potential harm to me
or guests.

Anyone is better off not using this feature if you happen to have it.
The chemicals can also be absorbed in upholstery and carpeting etc and
then later absorbed through the skin.

Like cell phones and computers and microwaves, these types of ovens have
only been around for a relatively short period of time. Don't be a lab
rat for future generations.. As a further precaution, I'd recommend not
cooking over 350 in it either..

Its sad but some humans are as dumb as they come. I'm betting you
graduated from HS in the 70"s

CP

What is it about people and the need for an enemy in their life. From the
Wikipedia

"While Teflon itself is chemically inert and non-toxic, Teflon begins to
deteriorate after the temperature of cookware reaches about 500 °F (260 °C),
and begins to significantly decompose above 660 °F (350 °C). These
degradation products can be lethal to birds, and can cause flu-like symptoms
in humans (see Teflon flu). By comparison, cooking fats, oils and butter
will begin to scorch and smoke at about 392 °F (200 °C), and meat is usually
fried between 400-450 °F (200-230 °C), but empty cookware can exceed this
temperature if left unattended on a hot burner. A 1959 study, conducted
before the FDA approved the material for use in food processing equipment,
showed that the toxicity of fumes given off by the coated pan on dry heating
was less than that of fumes given off by ordinary cooking oils.[5]
A 1973 study confirmed the FDA findings and found that a 4-hour exposure to
the pyrolysis products of butter in an uncoated pan at 260°C were 100% toxic
to parakeets, whereas no deaths were observed for exposure to Teflon
pyrolysis products until the Teflon coated pan was heated to 280 °C.[6] Over
the 40 years non-stick cookware has been in widespread use, there is only
one published case of a minor, short-lasting health effect in humans linked
to overheating non-stick cookware.[7]"