Posted to alt.home.repair
nhurst nhurst is offline

Default Self Cleaning Oven - Just Say NO!!

At the risk of feeding a troll, I'm going to respond.
After some quick research (http://www.omega.com/techref/fluoro.html)
I'm going to say you're mistaken:
Teflon doesn't burn until at least 500 degrees fahrenheit, which is
hotter than most ovens go, except when cleaning, and then it goes to
557 degrees or so. The few instructions on using a self-cleaning oven
I've seen state that you should remove everything from the oven before
you begin the self-cleaning process.

Yes, Teflon will burn on a cooktop, because burners get hotter than
ovens to, but again, instructions state that you should not leave empty
cookware on active cooktops.

As to the rest of your stuff, you do know that microwave ovens have
been around since the 1940s, right? And that in a properly used
microwave oven, no microwaves escape?

And for mobile phones, they were around in the 1940s as well, and only
became "cellular" when phone companies wanted to reuse the phone
frequencies, so broke urban areas into "cells".

Here are some Teflon and related links that should illustrate my point:
http://www.stanford.edu/dept/hds/shs...an-cycle-2.pdf
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teflon

So in short, you're allowing yourself to be used to spread baseless
FUD. You probably have more to worry about in ingesting the aluminum
content in your teflon-coated cookware than Teflon itself.

-Nathan

Charles Pisano wrote:
I recently purchased a (new construction) vacation home and it came with
a SC oven. I've never bothered to buy myself one of these so I was
unfamiliar.

I attempted to use it the other evening and quickly became sick from the
fumes even though I had opened windows. After doing very little reading
(about small birds dying etc), I quickly realized super heating the
Teflon in an oven (or any teflon) to save oneself the trouble of
getting in there and cleaning it is not worth the potential harm to me
or guests.

Anyone is better off not using this feature if you happen to have it.
The chemicals can also be absorbed in upholstery and carpeting etc and
then later absorbed through the skin.

Like cell phones and computers and microwaves, these types of ovens have
only been around for a relatively short period of time. Don't be a lab
rat for future generations.. As a further precaution, I'd recommend not
cooking over 350 in it either..

CP