Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Bemier Joe Bemier is offline

Default compound miter question

On 15 Sep 2006 09:29:58 -0700, wrote:

I've been putting up foam crown molding in my house (I feel you
cringing, but it's an old house--wavy walls and ceilings, nothing is
square, etc...). The stuff we got is from "creative crown"
(
www.foamcrownmolding.com if you need a picture). Unlike wood crown,
this stuff has a solid back (more or less triangle in shape when you
look at in profile). The side that sits against the wall is 6", the
side that sits on the ceiling is 3-3/16". I had no problems with
inside corners, outside corners, etc., but now I'm stuck trying to
figure out how to make a return at the end of an angled wall. We have
stacked staircases, so on the second floor, the wall on one side of the
stairs slopes down from the ceiling at about a 34 degree angle back
toward the bottom of the stairs to the third floor. I would like the
crown to follow the slope of the wall with a return at the end. So the
front piece, it seems, will need to be mitered at 34 degrees and
beveled at 45 degrees. But I cannot figure out how to cut the return,
after many hours and 12 wasted feet of molding. Can anyone give me any
advise about how to do this? Is it even possible? THANKS for your
help.

As Sir Ben pointed out, a pic of the location would help. Post it in
the binary group if you can sanp one.
Otherwise, I think you will be dealing with splitting the angle. Run a
line on both planes and then interesct them and that is your cut
lines.
If you are trying to Return the piece that is on the 34' slope, your
Return cannot be level......is that the issue?
Based on the images on the website you should be able to handle it
like any other Crown.