Posted to uk.d-i-y
John White John White is offline

Default Inaccessible junction boxes

Ren wrote:

Inaccessible junction boxes

I need to use junction boxes to connect up socket connections (spurs)
to a ring main, but these junction boxes will be inaccessible later on.

Where are these junction boxes going?

Junction boxes under floorboards are considered to be accessible -
even when gaining access involves removing long floorboards, laminate
flooring, two sofas a piano and a complete set of the Encyclopedia
Britannica. :-)

If the junction boxes are really going to be inaccessible it's better
to redesign the circuit to move them somewhere with access, if only
because you can guarantee where any fault will occur.

Spurs are often wired into a socket that is on the ring, which avoids
the need for a junction box.

Can I solder the solid cores, and then clamp them under the terminal
screws?

No this is a bad idea as it would be difficult to get a satisfactory
joint. Such joints would normally be crimped, but again you need to
use the proper tools to get a good joint.

John
--
John White,
Electrical Contractor