Posted to alt.home.repair
John Ross John Ross is offline

Default appliances and grounded wall outlet

Bud-- wrote:
Clueless wrote:

Thanks for the feedback

I keep seeing GFCI mentioned in my research as well

I guess the part that I don't understand is:
Is there any problem running a 3 prong appliances (such as gas range or fridge) on a GFCI receptacle that is not grounded?

No. GFCIs are permitted by the NEC on circuits without a ground. Mark
the GFCI with a label included with the GFCI - "No equipment ground".
GFCIs should be tested periodically acording to directions.

Also, does a surge suppressor do anything to an electric equipment that does not ground properly?

Not a good idea - if anything it will make the shock hazard worse.

My understanding is that IF some wire got loose within an electric equipment, and the loose wire is in contact
with the metal casing, the casing itself become "hot", and anything (such as a person) that touches the casing will
causes the electricity to travel from casing to the person

Right except the person needs contact with the "hot" casing and another
point to get a shock. With a GFCI, when that contact is made and a
current through the person reaches 5 mA the GFCI will trip. (Actually
when there is a 5 mA current difference between the hot and neutral by
whatever path.) As Mark said, the GFCI does not manufacture a ground, it
just detects a current difference.

Is what you are talking about what you see in newer bathrooms where if
it trips you press the reset button?

The OP stated that this was to avoid using grounds in the kitchen for
such things including the refrigerator. It doesn't seem practical to me
to have something where everytime it tripped, you would have to pull
out the refrigerator to get to the outlet behind it! Am I missing
something or did everyone just miss that these would be hard to reach
outlets with heavy appliances?

--
John Ross