Posted to alt.home.repair
Tekkie® Tekkie® is offline

Default appliances and grounded wall outlet

Clueless posted for all of us...

Thanks for the feedback

I keep seeing GFCI mentioned in my research as well

I guess the part that I don't understand is:
Is there any problem running a 3 prong appliances (such as gas range or fridge) on a GFCI receptacle that is not grounded?
Also, does a surge suppressor do anything to an electric equipment that does not ground properly?

My understanding is that IF some wire got loose within an electric equipment, and the loose wire is in contact with the metal casing, the casing itself become "hot", and anything (such as a person) that touches the casing will causes the electricity to travel from casing to the person

With a properly grounded receptacle, the ground wire will carry most/all of the electricty from casing to ground, and possibly tripped the circuit breaker

This may sounds like I am playing with fire, but I just want to understand the situation: if there are no wire coming lose within the equipment itself, then there's technically no need for that ground...

Again, appreciate all the feedback thus far

K.K.

Google is broken at your house? This has been addressed SO MANY times.
--
Tekkie "There's no such thing as a tool I don't need."