Posted to rec.woodworking
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default cutting thin copper sheet

wrote:
I've done some really intricate patterns in thin copper using a bandsaw
with a thin blade. Enclosed cuts were done on a scroll saw. If you are
making multiples of the same pattern, a sandwich is the way to go. I
found that I could make a sandwich with four sheets of copper and five
sheets of luan/doorskin/etc.

Why would you need more than a top and bottom sheet of plywood? More
than that seems wasteful. The only sheets that will get deformed by
the cutting action are the top and bottom sheets of copper.

My favorite way of keeping everything
together was using a low grab spray adhesive like 3M 77. Coat all
surfaces. If your pattern is delicate, don't pry the sandwich apart.
Instead throw the sandwich in a container of thinner and let the
thinner dissolve the adhesive. Works like a charm.

I can see using the spray and solvent for small pieces, but if they're
too big to fit in say a cereal bowl, that also seems wasteful and I
avoid solvents whenever possible.

Whenever I've had to cut multiples I've used a top and bottom sheet of
cheap paneling or plywood, screwed the sandwich together in waste areas
and clamped the perimeter if it's large.

The tight radii should be drilled out to the exact size so there's no
need to run the saw into the tightest part of the curves. Bimetal hole
saw for anything over 1/2".