Posted to rec.woodworking
The3rd Earl Of Derby The3rd Earl Of Derby is offline

Default cutting thin copper sheet

wrote:
R. Pierce Butler wrote:
" wrote in
oups.com:

I have a project that entails cutting thin copper sheeting.
There are small radii, too small and tight for snips.
I was thinking about using 2 pcs of plywood to sandwich
the copper with.
Has anyone had experience cutting it this way ?
Is there a metal cutting blade for a scroll saw ?

How big are the holes/radii? A scroll saw should work. I would try
sandwiching the copper like you thought.

Some of the holes are 1/2 in dia. I've tried aircraft snips & it's a
bit
hard cutting corners without leaving a saw-tooth edge.
The copper sheeting is a little thicker than a manila folder. I don't
know
what the thickness is. May use a gauge tomorrow to check it.
Ideally, a scroll saw would be nice, but I'm not sure if there is a
metal cutting blade to use.

Could you not get various sizes of square tubing and grind an edge on all
sides so its razor sharp and then use it as a punch to cut the copper
through?

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite