Jim Schwitters

Default If you were building the dream shop

Gary,
A good friend of mine makes a living designing and consulting on foundations
in the DFW area. He's described the unique challenges your soil poses -
apparently it can be very challenging. I'd suggest you call someone like
him who might give some advice over the phone. If you wish, contact me
off-list and I'll see if he might be able to advise.
Jim S.

GJRepesh wrote in message
I'm looking into expanding my current shop. I would like some input from

recent
shop projects. Comments on things you did right and wrong. What do you

wish you
had done. Things you did that didn't pay off. Type of construction. I'm

looking
for ideas. I'm near Dallas TX. I've talked to the city and know about size
constraints, etc. It can be 15 feet tall at the highest roof point.

My existing shop is 20 x 24. This would be incorportated into a larger

shop of
28 x 40 or 30 x 40. One of my concerns is the existing slab. It was

cracked
along the long axis and the back half has slopped into the good old tx

black
gumbo. I have filled the cracks and the floor has held up the last eight

years.
Shifts a little in the summer. Do I need to replace the slab? Have a

foundation
company relevel and install support piers? Ideas? I probably can build

part of
the expansion and move my machines into the new location. That would free

up
the existing area to redo.

I'd appreciate some ideas.

Gary Repesh