Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Steve Russell Steve Russell is offline

Default is latex paint sufficient to seal green wood?

Hello Neal,

As the others have pointed out, latex paint does not really work well for
sealing log ends. It may work in a pinch, for a short period, but do not
trust it for long term storage. One reason latex does not work well, is that
is doesn't really have a lot of ability to move without cracking. If you
smear some latex paint on glass and let it dry and then remove it with a
razor blade, you will see that it cracks very easily when stretched. As the
wood continues to dry, the movement causes the latex paint to form micro
fissures. Air is exposed to these tiny fissures and the exposed wood below
the failed surface coating, causing them to grow larger and deeper.

Cold wax log sealers like Anchorseal are paraffin, or microcrystalline based
emulsions that dry, forming a flexible, yet vapour permeable membrane that
is much more resistant to movement than latex paint. As the others have also
pointed out, buying direct from the manufacturer can save you quite a bit
over buying from a reseller. Also, if you belong to a local turning club,
check with them as many purchase the larger 55 gallon drums and sell the
emulsion to members at cost. When purchased this way, the cost per gallon is
quite low, around $5-7.00 per gallon if my memory is correct.

Here are a few "on the cheap" ways to temporarily keep the log sections form
checking, depending on the size of the section these may or may not be
feasible... Store in plastic bags, in a tank of water, use trash bags over
the endgrain sections secured with duct tape. Good luck to you and best
wishes in all of your woodturning endeavours!

On 9/9/06 8:49 PM, in article ,
"neal konneker" wrote:

Would two coats of latex house paint be sufficient to seal green wood or
do I have to use the wax emulsion stuff? I can get latex paint for a few
dollars per gallon, the wax emulsion stuff often sells for tens of dollars
per gallon. If I have to use the wax emulsion, where can I get the best
price?

Neal

--
Better Woodturning and Finishing Through Chemistry...

Steven D. Russell
Eurowood Werks Woodturning Studio, The Woodlands, Texas
Machinery, Tool and Product Testing for the Woodworking and Woodturning
Industries

³Woodturning with Steven D. Russell²
Volume #1 CD ROM e-Book * Available for Shipment
Volume #2 CD ROM e-Book/DVD Video * Available for Shipment
Volume #3 Double DVD Video on Bowl Turning * Available for Shipment