Posted to uk.local.east-anglia,uk.d-i-y

Default Hearing aid...needed

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
For those of you who know what it means my wife looks like her hearing
shelves from normal at 100Hz down to -50dB at 750Hz, where it plateaus
before falling off a cliff after 2.5Khz..I doubt anything over 8kHz is
audible at all..

300 - 3000 Hz was chosen for telephones as being comfortable for speech.
-50 DB for the last two octaves would make it very difficult to
understand.

It's worse between 1.5 and 3Khz...

She wants something in ear, for comfort, rather than cosmetic
reasons...but 50dB is apparently the bleeding edge as far as 'in ear'
technology goes..

I would think so. That's a lot of gain to have twixt mic and speaker in
something that small without feedback.

yes..they use delays to stop the howlround, and echo cancellation - DSP
stuff - but even so its a hard call. However any improvement at all
would be useful.