Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Baker Dave Baker is offline

Default Taps - the thread cutting kind

wrote in message
oups.com...

Dave Baker wrote:

I use Draper spanners and sockets quite happily for professional
engine building use.

That's because engine building is easy.

You think so do you?

New, clean components that fit
together. You care about measuring instruments and torque wrenches, but
wrenches and sockets themselves aren't asked to do all that much.

Who do you think strips down the old rusty donor engine that gets turned
into a race one?

Now try working on restoring old boat engines, where the part is 80
years old, spent all its working life in salty mud, and is
irreplaceble. Now _that's_ when the properly sized and shaped Snap-on
6 point flank drive pays for itself.

Before I build a nice shiny race engine with new parts I still have to strip
down the old scabby rusty donor engine which might be 30 or more years old
with exactly the same problems as your boat ones. As I said in my previous
post it's for that occasional badly corroded fitting that expensive tools
might help you but for everything else normal quality tools manage just
fine.
--
Dave Baker
www.pumaracing.co.uk