Ecnerwal

Default If you were building the dream shop

In article ,
(GJRepesh) wrote:

I'm looking into expanding my current shop. I would like some input from
recent shop projects.

I'm in Vermont, so I have different conditons, and I don't know squat
about TX gumbo, or the best method of floating a slab on it that will
hold up. I'd guess go with plenty of steel and use fibered concrete too,
but if the ground is iffy, you might want to spend a few bucks on an
engineer so that the steel ends up where it will do you some good...

Things I like: I used structural insulated panel walls - they went up
quickly, they insulate well, they are very strong, you can put windows
in after the walls are up - but we have no termites to speak of (my
panels are up 18" on a concrete stemwall, anyway). I assume termites are
more of an issue for you, and steel probably looks better by dint of
that. I found steel buildings to be no cost savings by the time they
were well insulated, I think steel siding is ugly, and they all came
from far-away places, such as Texas. This last point probably works in
your favor...

I waffled, I whiffled, I agonized, and I cut some big windows. The
difference between shop (24x48) with only the man door and 10x10 garage
door openings (typical for some shops) and with 5 3'x6' windows is well
worth the heat load those windows cost me .vs. blank wall. But, I don't
need to worry about air conditioning (open 10x10 door - and, one or two
weeks a year, complain about the heat, then go swimming). I've worked in
spaces with and without windows, and I am a lot happier with them.

Things I dislike: It's too small, of course. But the budget has limits.

It's two story (11.5' and 8'). The second story really slowed things
down. I have room, so I could have built longer, wider, or two
buildings; the two story design does save on heat, somewhat, and
roofing. The stairs eat space.

Dream-shop budget breaker I don't expect to ever have, since I don't
play the lottery: Overhead crane.