Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] empress2454@wowway.com is offline

Default Taps - the thread cutting kind

buy german or japanese Taps, american ond (shudder) chinese/tiwanese
taps are made from poorer grades of steel.

Empress2454 #124457

Games that I like to play

dcbwhaley wrote:
Any advice on buying taps. I need sizes from 2.5mm to 6mm (including
3.5 mm - even though my local DIY shop tells me metric screws only come
in whole numbers) for tapping mainly aluminium and occassionally mild
steel.

MY internet search seems to find huge sets of taps and dies at
suspiciously low prices or individul items at pocket wrecking prices.
Materials seem to be carbon steel, tungsten steel and high speed steel.
Which is best?

Dave