Posted to uk.d-i-y
Grunff Grunff is offline

Default Best way to repair crack.

stevelup wrote:

Its above some patio doors leading to the conservatory. The external
brickwork looks fine. Do you reckon I should hack the plaster right off
and look behind then?

With respect, given your limited knowledge it is extremely unlikely you
would be able to assess the wall meaningfully.

Hacking back the plaster will simply show you a crack in the brick/block
wall. There must be one, otherwise the plaster would not have cracked.
But what would that tell you?

House walls crack - that's life. It's all part of the natural settlement
process. The real question is whether there is a crack that is growing,
or has been caused by recent work.

You initially stated that you'd had a surveyor look at the wall. I took
this to mean that it had been inspected and passed. If you are uncertain
about his, get a structural engineer in to advise you.

--
Grunff