Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Minchin Bob Minchin is offline

Default Harvested water for flushing

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Mary Fisher wrote:
Has anyone installed a system for flushing the wc using harvested water?

We'd like to be able to switch between mains and pumped collected water.
This would enable harvested water to be used for the garden in summer
and not wasted in winter - when there is more rain to collect but it
isn't used.

Spouse has made plans to do it but I wondered if anyone here had done it
and could give the benefits of experience.

Theories and opinions are inappropriate although *authoritative* legal
advice will be welcome. We're confident that we know what's necessary
but there might be something which we hadn't thought of and a qualified
plumber could advise.

My thoughts would be to provide a separate storage tank in the loft which
only feeds the toilets, and arrange for that to be filled - via a pump -
from your collected water, or from the mains when non is available.
However, with the current cost of water, it would take some time to recoup
the investment.

--
*I don't have a solution, but I admire your problem. *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

A friend of mine is currently selfbuildng a house and has installed a
collection tank under the patio with an access hole for cleaning etc. It is
filled from the gutters and has a commercial controller to switch between
mains and tank water. He plans to use it for loo flushing and the washing
machine.This extra potential use for filtered rain water should
significantly shorten the payback time. Not sure if he is using it for the
dishwasher too but the cost of electical heating might make this less
economic?

Bob