Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Baker Dave Baker is offline

Default Taps - the thread cutting kind

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Dave Baker wrote:
Repeat after me. Never ever ever ever buy cheap tools.

It's generally good advice, but there are times when they can be ok. For
example I keep my car spanners (good and expensive makes) handy for car
work. But in my workshop which is actually a first floor bedroom and
mainly used for electronic stuff I have cheaper sets bought from the sheds
- as the sort of use they're put to doesn't tax them. Of course you'd
check they are a decent fit, but they appear to be. I have a combination
metric set which cost 1/10th of decent stuff but does that job ok. And
isn't covered in grease. ;-)

Things like spanners and sockets are a different kettle of fish to cutting
tools. I use Draper spanners and sockets quite happily for professional
engine building use. I've never felt the need to buy Snap On or Britool at
many times the price. They might not be quite as strong or as good a fit but
they'll always work to some extent, usually a quite sufficient one.

However a poor cutting tool might not work at all. It might cut oversize,
undersize or just jam and break. A cheap spanner always has some utility. A
cheap tap might have zero utility which is why I stick to pro quality ones.
--
Dave Baker
www.pumaracing.co.uk