Peter T. Keillor III

Default The IDEAL Machinery Moving Trailer?

On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 14:48:01 -0500, Gary Coffman
wrote:

On 4 Jan 2004 09:08:40 -0800, (Too_Many_Tools) wrote:
I have also found that the type of floor in the trailer can make a big
difference with the ease of dealing with certain loads. My tilt
trailer has a steel plate floor while the utility trailer is treated
plank. Any thoughts on trailer decks folks?

My trailer has a wood floor. Things tend to stay put on the wood
floor better than on a steel deck. But if I had a tilt bed, I think I'd
want a steel diamond plate floor. That'd allow things to slide on
and off easier. It's what the rollback wreckers have.

Gary

Dad's old bobtail IH had a steel deck with bolt on 2"X12" runners. We
used the runners when hauling a load of levee rollers (3) at 4800 lb.
ea., or removed them when we put the sides on for hauling rice. We
used an onboard hydraulically driven winch to load the rollers using
the tilt bed with limiter and two 3"X12" live oak loading planks. The
winch was below the deck, with a payout roller in a frame to fit the
cutout. A filler plate was placed over the cutout and taped for rice.
The limiter was removed for dumping rice or whatever. The smooth
steel deck was definitely needed for dumping rice.

Hauling the rollers around southeast Texas was one of my jobs from age
16 until I left home.

Pete Keillor