Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Baker Dave Baker is offline

Default Taps - the thread cutting kind

"dcbwhaley" wrote in message
ups.com...
Any advice on buying taps. I need sizes from 2.5mm to 6mm (including
3.5 mm - even though my local DIY shop tells me metric screws only come
in whole numbers) for tapping mainly aluminium and occassionally mild
steel.

MY internet search seems to find huge sets of taps and dies at
suspiciously low prices or individul items at pocket wrecking prices.
Materials seem to be carbon steel, tungsten steel and high speed steel.
Which is best?

Dave

HSS. Go to J&L online and buy something decent. Avoid cheap and cheerful
carbon steel sets made in Itchifanni because they snap like carrots and are
often so badly made the threads they cut aren't to size anyway.

http://jlindustrial.com/index.jsp?redirect=UK
--
Dave Baker
www.pumaracing.co.uk