Posted to alt.home.repair
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default Power for tablesaw in shop?

On Sat, 9 Sep 2006 00:47:08 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm,
"Roger Shoaf" quickly quoth:

"Clint" wrote in message
newsXHKg.502160$iF6.467243@pd7tw2no...
To continue what Rich said, around here we pay for electrical power by the
kilowatt-hour. Wattage = voltage * amps. So if your tablesaw draws 15

amps
at 120v (15A * 120V = 1800W), it's the same as 7.5A @ 240V (7.5A * 240V =
1800W) in terms of actual power used, and therefore cost.

Since the same size wire will carry the same amount of amps at either
voltage, and voltage is what drops as wire runs get longer you tend to get
more power to the motor if you opt for the higher voltage.

Right, startup torque is higher at 240v, too, so the machine springs
to life a lot quicker.

Also if you take it to the next step and run the motors on 3 phase power
(assuming it is available) you get a bigger bang for your buck.

I missed the original posts, but from this post:

120 and 240v are both single-phase, Roger. He'd have to get a 3-phase
motor and have the utility company put in 3-phase power (usually for
beaucoup additional money IF they do 3-phase in his residential area.)

--
Vidi, Vici, Veni
---