Posted to rec.woodworking
The Other Funk The Other Funk is offline

Default Consumer Product Safety Comm. to discuss proposed SawStop technology safety rule

Finding the keyboard operational
Leuf entered:

On Fri, 08 Sep 2006 13:49:02 -0400, Joe Bemier
wrote:

And there is the point. I don't want $400-$500 worth of extras
*forced* on me just to cover some other clowns stupidity.

Part of the cost is the mechanism to stop the blade. Part of the cost
is the beefing up of the rest of the machine to handle stopping it.
But that also contributes to it being an all around better saw. Note
that the Sawstop has a deeper table (at least I think all the other
cabinet saws are at 27ish) as the mechanism needs more room behind the
blade. They also (I think) overdid it with the other safety features
like interlocks to keep the saw from starting if the cabinet door is
open. The point being, as I've said elsewhere, I don't believe the
real cost is as high as you make it out to be. I really expect the
added cost to be under $100 once the dust settles.

Also there is the part that drops the blade under the table. You may need
more depth for that.
Bob

--?
--?