Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

Default Taking the protective coating off new chisels

It would depend on what the coating is but, if it's something like
cosmoline, kerosene do a good job. It will have to soak a while (30 minutes)
in extreme cases but should soften it to the point that it can be easily
wiped off.

"Jonesy" wrote in message
ups.com...
I thought about that but I remember reading an article that said if you
don't take the coating off it gums up your sharpening equipment. I
intended on sharpening them afterwards.

Leon wrote:
"Jonesy" wrote in message
oups.com...
Does anyone know what takes the protective coating off quickly. I've
tried lacquer thinner and it worked very slowly but I still ended up
scraping it off.

Sharpening will remove it. New chisels should be sharpened and their

backs
should be flattened.