Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

Default Consumer Product Safety Comm. to discuss proposed SawStop technology safety rule

The amount of time for a CMS to come to a stop is sufficient to amputate a
finger. Yes, there are ways of stopping a motor quite quickly but, even a
partial rotation could be disastrous. In any case, stopping it that quickly
would almost certainly unscrew the blade nut. A freewheeling blade will cut
quite nicely.

wrote in message
For that matter, just think how fast the brake on a CMS or router
stops the tool (admittedly their reliability factor is not that high!)
I'm no engineer, but it sure seems to me that it would be possible to
stop a TS without a one-time-use cartridge.
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland