Posted to rec.woodworking
George Max George Max is offline

Default Consumer Product Safety Comm. to discuss proposed SawStop technology safety rule

On Fri, 08 Sep 2006 17:55:27 GMT, "The Other Funk"
wrote:

coffee spray!!!
Seriously the product warning lables are getting ridiculous. And not just
the badly translated.
I groan inwardly every time I see "caution contents may be hot" on a lid.
If it isn't hot, I'm out of business.
So it is with SawStop. As I see it there are two types of tabesaw
acccidents. Being careful operator with an Opps and the careless operator.
Both need the protection.
Having reread the SawStop web site, I am very concerned about a third kind
of trigger. If SawStop works by sensing a electrcal signal, what happens if
someone is using a motor with worn brushes in the area or an arc welder? I
know (hope) it's been tested for this but you can't test for everything.
Bob

You're in the retail coffee business? Sorta like Starbucks?

Moving onto the saw - this is what UL attempts to do. Test for
everything. They say it senses the capacitance of a human body. I
wonder if the amount of that capacitance is the same from individual
is the same, and if not, does that make a difference? The electronics
of the device can probably be shielded from interference, but the
blade is part of the circuit, I don't think that can be shielded and
in fact may act as an antenna. I'm also wondering about those teflon
coated blades, but that might not matter since the teeth won't have
teflon on them.

Since this is probably a new category of device for UL, they're going
to have to dream up tests for it. Assuming it's totally new or at
least nothing very similar.

There's going to be a heck of a lot of investigation on this.