Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Darrell Feltmate Darrell Feltmate is offline

Default Where do you start?

Robo Hippy
Well spoken by a rodent of unusual size. :-)

--

______
God bless and safe turning
"robo hippy" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hey Darrell,
This is very much like one of Arch's musings. Are you stirring things
like Arch does. Personally, I really couldn't hope to have a better
model. This is fun! Good job, carry on, I'll most likely kill you in
the morning (the dread pirate Roberts from themovie,
The Princess Bride).
robo hippy
Kevin wrote:
The very first thing I ever turned, as well as the next dozen or so,
were mushrooms. I still have maybe 4 or 5 laying around the house and
shop. Within a month it was bowls and the occasional spindle turning
of tool handles.

Darrell Feltmate wrote:
Mac, this is your fault. You got me thinking which is always a

dangerous
thing. Where should a person start in turning? Most start with

spindles, but
a skew is the best spindle tool going and notthe easiest tool to

learn.
Bowls are a lot easier and if you use Oland tools both cheaper and

less
scary to make. It is harder to get a catch with an Oland tool. I will

put a
thought start up on the blog about this too if anyone cares to join

me. It
is easier to archive on the blog and this should be good stuff for

newbies.
By the way, I start first timers on tealights and bowls.
www.roundopinions.blogspot.com
_____
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate