Posted to rec.woodworking
George Max George Max is offline

Default Consumer Product Safety Comm. to discuss proposed SawStop technology safety rule

On 8 Sep 2006 07:11:52 -0700, "Devon Miller"
wrote:

The cartridge is swapable without tools. It's actually more work
changing the dado than it is changing the cartridge. If you want to,
you can mount a dado without changing cartridges, but then you have to
bypass the safety which requires a key and (I think) a powercycle. It
will take about the same amount of time either way.

The brake cartridge is like the airbag in a car. It's no substitue for
common sense. You still need to be careful and wear seatbelts. But it
can save you if you ever do something stupid.

I do own a SawStop, but I'm not crazy about them trying to force feed
it to everyone. Unfortunately, I don't know that the wood machines
industry is powerful enough to pull off the auto industries trick with
airbags. Automobile airbags were invented and patented in 1968. The
auto industry resisted embracing the technology until 1988... after the
patent expired.

dcm

That's good to know.

Being forced just rubs me the wrong way. And I think unnecessary. If
it passes the acid test of actual use in industry, it WILL trickle
down to everyone. The inventor isn't entirely altruistic. I think he
want's the pot of gold NOW while he's young rather than getting it
much later when he's old. It could take a lifetime to build a
successful business.

Even so, I'd be interested in it. But not at $3000 (or so) While my
woodworking is a hobby and I don't have to justify a purchase, there
is only so much $ to spend.