Roy

Default BANDSAW power, so what would be my best options for powering this machine HELP!

On 3 Jan 2004 16:37:08 -0800,
(Too_Many_Tools) wrote:

===Shhh Ron.....don't let these guys know the big secret about
===treadmills. ;)
===
===A story...
===
===For me, this last summer was "The Summer of the Treadmill". I got
===several different treadmills for nothing...right place at the right
===time. One was like the ones you mention. It had a complete Reeves
===mechanism with a very healthy AC 220V motor...a bear to tear down
===because it was built like a tank...first time I have used a sled
===hammer as the main disassembly tool. When you take yours apart, make
===sure you keep the entire Reeves/motor assembly together in one piece.
===My assembly would be a drop-in replacement for a bandsaw application
===that is being discussed.
===
===The other treadmill I got had a LARGE DC motor assembly with speed
===controller. When I mention LARGE DC motor, I am describing a real 3.5
===HP DC Baldor motor that weighs many pounds. I was told by the store
===that threw the treadmill out that the motor was worth thousands of
===dollars
===
===Finally I found another treadmill in the junkyard later this summer
===(remember I had been looking for surplus treadmills for years with no
===success until now). When I tore this one apart, lo and behold, there
===was the "infamous treadmill motor" that the surplus places sell.
===
===A simple test that I now use to determine whether there is "HSM gold"
===in that thar treadmill is to try to pick up the powered end of the
===treadmill. If you can, the treadmill has the "infamous treadmill
===motor" of questionable horsepower...useful for some applications. If
===you can't pick the treadmill up, you likely have yourself a treadmill
===worth taking apart since the two I mentioned (the Reeves and the BIG
===DC) were ones I couldn't budge without busting a disc or two.
===
===The moral of this story....if you can find a high end treadmill, GRAB
===IT. It will have either a Reeves mechanism with a BIG AC motor or a
===BIG DC motor. Either of these are perfect drop-in subassemblies for
===powering bandsaws, mills or lathes with little or no modification to
===the machine in question.
===
===Oh, and my New Year's resolution is to find all the treadmills I can't
===lift for the coming year. ;)
===
===
===
===
===
===
===
===
===
===Ron Moore wrote in message ...
=== I picked up a couple of treadmills the other day at a surplus biz. I
=== thought they would be a varispeed DC unit. I found that they used a
=== motor-controlled cone pulley arrangement with a 1+ hp (haven't torn it
=== apart yet) AC motor. It has about a 12:1 speed range (3/4 - 10 mph).
=== It should be great for a bandsaw app as the most torque will develope
=== at the slowest speed. These are old hospital grade units that are
=== getting replaced a lot these days. Just a thought if you have any
=== surplus resources in your area.
=== Respectfully,
=== Ron Moore
===
=== Roy wrote:
===
=== I got a lot of mixed results in regards to gear reducer drives, VFD's
=== and jack shafts in regards to my powering up my home brew bandsaw.
=== I had thought I could do it with my 1.5 hp DC motor and a gear reducer
=== and jackshaft, but then along came the VFD's etc........Not looking
=== to spend a ton of money of course but not necessarily looking to cut
=== corners either. I want it to be useable in the home shop for metal
=== cutting mainly with wood and other materials secondary.
===
=== Anyone have any offerings as to how or what would be the best yet most
=== economical way to power this bandsaw?
===
=== Specs....3 wheels (12" approx diam 37.75" circumferance) Preferable
=== speeds for metal cutting and hopefully speeds for wood cutting as
=== well.
===
=== I found a neat crank type gear reducer however it may be a bit to
=== light for this job. Its at the below link on Ebay.
===
===
===
=== I am at the point I need to decide how I am going to power this thing,
=== so any info would be appreciated.
=== Visit my website: http://www.frugalmachinist.com
=== Opinions expressed are those of my wifes,
=== I had no input whatsoever.
=== Remove "nospam" from email addy.
===
===

This past year was also treadmill heaven for me aswell. I hauled home
well over 15 treadmills, and stripped each and every one of them. I
use 99% of a treadmill for something or other.

Most of mine had Leeson motors in them which is a very good motor from
what I understand. Horsepower ranges went from 1 hp to 3
hp...........most if not all of mine had controller failures and most
were smoked. All but 2 of the motors was good.

I routinely get a call from an Spa and Exercise dealer to come and
pick up his traded in and uneconomical to repair equipment and haul it
off. I am retired so I am usually there shortly after he calls, rain
or shine.

Guess I need to keep an eye out for one of those Reeves type units.