Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon Leon is offline

Default Consumer Product Safety Comm. to discuss proposed SawStop technology safety rule

"Leuf" wrote in message

Wait.. I assumed when power was off so was the detection. So if I
accidently brush against the blade while I'm cleaning off the table it
fires and I have to buy a new blade and replace the cartridge?

No, from what I uynderstand the system is activated and then you turn on the
saw. Turning off the saw motor does not disable the system so that you are
protected during spin down. After it stops it does not fire. I would
imagine an accidental firing of the cartride in to a stopped blade may not
do harm to either unless the cartridge is a one time fire piece regardless
if it is damaged or not. This I do not know.

What
happens when I go to change blades? I assume there's an override, but
what worries me is if it's easy to override and a false detection
means I am out $150-200 that I'd just leave the sucker in the override
position when it's not on, and then the one time I forget to switch it
back that's when something happens.

Again I doubt serious harm would be done to the blade. The real harm comes
when the blade comes to a sudden stop from 100 MPH.

Check this out, it is interesting and informative.
http://www.sawstop.com/documents/Cab...ManualV2.3.pdf